Pages

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Reproductive Health Bill in the Philippines


I'm an active and a proud Roman Catholic...and I clearly understand what the church's notion about the Reproductive Health Bill or as popularized as the RHBill and I acknowledge and respect that.

However, I believe that the RHBill DOES NOT PROMOTE PREMARITAL SEX NOR ABORTION, but only recognizes that we are HUMANS. We are vulnerable to committing mistakes - and it is not a secret to all of us that a lot of Filipinos especially teenagers engage into coitus at a very young age that leads to unwanted pregnancies, through which in a number of cases, leads to abortion and even suicide. It's hard to say this, but I must admit that in a very long period of time, the church has failed to teach the "Morality" that you are talking about. Yes, they've done their very best, but just like the song, their best wasn't good enough to stop the population explosion - which is associated to poverty; nor the rising number of sexually transmitted diseases among individuals; deaths of women especially mothers; abortions and suicides due to unwanted pregnancies, and stop the growling stomaches of those poor children who are more dead than they are alive because they aren't fortunate to eat at least once a day.

You must have heard as well that most families with the most number of children come from those who aren't earning enough to feed for their stomaches? Every time I see kids asking for a few coins in the streets, I shed a tear. I'm not from a well-off family. I have a decent job, but even I myself is having trouble providing myself to make it through each day of my life, how much difficult could it be for them?

Filipinos, wake up. You're in the 21st century - there's no turning back. These problems do exist now and we need to act on it - and FAST! We need to move if we all want to survive. So, think about it.

If parents of today would plan their family responsibly, they could be able to provide for enough food for their children and send them all to school, there would be enough rooms for everyone in getting a job because the population is enough; we would have healthier women - far from cancer or pregnancy complications; as for premarital sex...this one's a cliche...but a cliche isn't a cliche if it doesn't work - "An ounce of prevention is always better than a pound of cure". They have already committed a "sin" by violating Chastity, but let's not make them commit another mistake - let's educate them and prevent them from getting into more trouble in life.

I am PRO-LIFE. By LIFE, I mean a life that has meaning. A life that everyone has something to eat. A life for parents who can be happy seeing their children go to school. A life for individuals to stay rich - in HEALTH. A country which can provide enough resources for all its citizens.

There's no assurance that life has no suffering, but at least, one thing's for sure - we won't suffer from hunger, we could prevent suffering from sexually transmitted diseases, we could avoid teenagers to suffer from bearing an unwanted child while growing up, and we could prevent and aid women and our mothers from suffering from cancer and other illnesses.

Having said all these, I believe that it doesn't make me a less Christian if I say #YesToRHBill.

No comments:

Post a Comment